Just as with driving a car, Pennsylvania requires anyone operating a motorcycle to carry insurance coverage. It is the same requirements as other automobiles.
At SteelKey Insurance LLC, we can help you find the perfect coverage for your lifestyle and help keep state minimum requirements met.
What Does Motorcycle Insurance Cover?
The Pennsylvania state minimum insurance coverage is $15,000 per injury per person / $30,000 total injury / $5,000 property damage. Though the state does not require any additional coverage, it is an option to take on these extra policies due to how expensive a small accident can be. Should the rider’s injuries exceed $15,000 for themselves (and likewise if there is a passenger), the rider will be responsible for the entire difference. The same applies should the rider cause more than $5,000 of damage to another’s property.
Optional policies can include:
- Under/Uninsured Motorist - This is protection should someone else hit your motorcycle and that person does not have enough insurance to cover the expense of the repairs. It will also make up the difference if the person responsible does not have enough coverage to handle all the costs associated with an accident.
- Collision and Comprehensive - These cover damage to your motorcycle regardless of fault, as well as non-collision damage caused by covered events, often theft, hail, or vandalism.
What Are the Penalties for Failure to Comply?
Should a rider be caught not insuring the motorcycle, penalties could include:
- Minimum fine of $300.
- Three-month motorcycle registration suspension (nobody may ride the motorcycle while the registration is suspended, even if that rider has a license and their own motorcycle insurance).
- Three-month license suspension.
- A restoration fee (per the Schedule of Fees) for motorcycle registration.
- $94 restoration fee for a general driver’s license.
- $202 restoration fee for a commercial driver's license.
We can help make sure that you get just the right coverage that you need for your motorcycle. Contact SteelKey Insurance LLC for information or to get a quote today!